I’ve been wrestling with this one all morning and I’d like to issue an invitation here and now to anyone who can help me out with some sensible facts and figures. Help!
Here’s where I’ve got to so far in the story..
1. The two governments want to link the electricity system together to create an all island energy market. (Seems a good idea to me.)
2.Various ministers have been working the little cotton socks off their civil servants to get the funding in place.
3. The plan looks good and according NIE they have done the best that they can.
4. The above report (linked in point 3)explains that cost and maintenance reasons are paramount in deciding that it has to be an overhead not underground cable.
5. The people the cable will pass over are unhappy – quite right too! If this was planned for over my head I’d have taken a lot more notice before now!
Last night a meeting was held in Armagh to discuss this whole idea and in this BBC report Biologist Roger Coghill said there was a lot of evidence on the adverse health effects of living near electric fields:-
“The idea that there are no health risks from living near electric fields was dispelled decades ago…
We have substantial evidence in every part of science that there are adverse health effects from exposures.
Anyone who denies that simply hasn’t read the scientific literature.”
Now… this strikes a chord with me. So let’s see if we can air the debate a little. Can anyone help me here with some facts and figures? Here are some of my questions:
- what is the proposed route? (so far I haven’t found that despite all my searching!)
- can anyone point me to some of this research that says electricity fields are dangerous?
- can anyone point me to some research that says electricity fields are nor dangerous? Apart from this…
- is there anyone who can share their personal experiences of living under these things?
Oh… I’ve invited some of the parties concerned to join this debate. I hope they do so.
NEW ADDITION to this post on 15.11.07.
There has been so much discussion on this issue I thought a small vote might help us make things clear. If you have an opinion you may register it by taking the link below. But… please do keep adding your thought to the debate as well.
To vote just click on the link above.
Thanks you for your time.