If I had a pound for every time I’ve heard, “I could write a book…” said in Northern Ireland over the last 30 years I would have enough in the tank that just putting a couple of quid to it would pay off my debt! Let’s face it… everyone has a story to tell about something that happened during the troubles. Many are very sad, more are poignant in some way, some are hilariously funny (especially in hindsight!) but what all have in common is that these stories are the stuff of history.
I’m wondering here if we could make a start in telling those stories and if, in the telling,they might help ease the pain of thirty plus years of conflict? I think it might help.
Here’s how this works.
If you feel very confident you can just log in and post your story using your own name. Just follow the instructions here if you want to do that.
If you don’t want to use your own name, but you do want to record your story, then just scroll to the bottom of this page and fill out the form before posting.
- Choose a name you like (Antrim1965, Belfast Docker, Old Soldier etc.. you choose one you like);
- fill in a real email address (you will not be contacted and your email address will NOT show on site);
- tell your story.
Telling your story.
- You can tell as much of the story as your feel able to at this moment in time;
- You may want to change the names of people involved if you feel they might be placed in any danger by elements of the story you are telling;
- Be sure to say if you have changed the names of those involved so that others of the same name are not suspected of involvement.
Lastly, thanks for sharing.